i gotta tell them.
(not to mention, i am starting to look pregnant. i.e. fat. hoping to hold out 3 more weeks for another set of tests and results to come in.)
in the meantime, my brain has flashed forward. i will be going on leave, being a stay-at-home mom, but i think that isn't enough for me. my thoughts are leaning towards one of the following:
- i just completed my certificate in editing (and writing). i can start putting myself out there now, even on a volunteer basis, to build up a freelance clientele. i like this idea (but i am tired and not sure i can add this level of marketing work to my schedule at the moment). i could certainly pair this up with with my qualitative research and grant management background. adding a grant writing course and an HTML course to the mix would really boost me, i think.
- start the classes i need to fulfill the missing pre-reqs for a nursing program. what i would be aiming for is a masters in nursing. no guarantee i will get into a program once i apply (in fact, likely i won't, because they are so impacted). money going out and none coming in, if we are paying for school and childcare, and i am not earning $. and a commute to school. earliest possible admission would be autumn 2008, IF i get applications in by this fall.
- start the classes i need to fulfill the missing pre-reqs for a physicians' assistant program. i know very little about these programs or who offers them. timeline would be the same as for a nursing masters.
- take the appropriate grad school admissions test and apply for a masters in public health program. explore the requirements, costs, time committments, etc. of the various programs offered in the area.
- do some other mentally stimulating, "keep-foot-in-career-door" job from home or small business. (a friend of mine who is planning to return to the area has a small business idea she is interested in having me join. and i am interested in knowing more.)
- volunteer. this allows me to test out other careers, contribute a piece of myself to my community, offers flexibility, and lets me keep an aforementioned foot in the hypothetical door. i am really interested in environmental and parenting/children's issues.